Teaching In China

Teaching In China

We represent a number of incredible international schools in China, where you can both work in a vibrant, progressive culture and experience everything China has to offer... and there is a lot!

Teaching in China is definitely different compared to teaching in Australia. For one, the international mix of the schools we represent makes teaching and learning an experience for both students and the teacher. With so many nationalities represented, every lesson has the potential to tap into a dimension of subject matter that you may never knew existed.

Qualification Requirements to Teach in China

In order to gain a working Visa (Z) you need at least a Bachelors Degree and two years teaching experience. Or there are some schools that require a Bachelors Degree and an ESL qualification such as TEFL.

Due to stricter Visa requirements If you’re over age 55, your chances of getting a teaching job in China are slim. Although the official limit is 60, unless you’re already working in China as a mature age teacher, you're probably better off looking for a job in a different country.

Most International schools in China do not hire non-native English speakers. This includes ESL schools. Again this is a requirement to gain a Visa Z - to be from a native english speaking.

Cost of Living and Salaries in China

The salary can range from 3K US - 5K US per month as a teacher. For a leader, this is significantly higher. Included in a salary package is normally medical insurance, annual flights, relocation allowance and Visa costs. A number of the schools we represent also offer an annual performance related bonus.

The cost of living in China can be 60% cheaper than major cities such as Sydney. This cost of living comparison site is an excellent way to check how much money you can save. https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living

Smaller cities in China are also worth considering, where the cost of living is even lower and the quality of living is very similar.

Preparation for Teaching in China

You need to ensure your CV is up to date without any errors. Have attested copies of your passport and qualifications to hand. You will be asked for a police check from your country of origin, which can take time to process.

All of the schools we represent offer basic medical insurance as part of your teaching contract, with a number offering enhanced medical cover. You should also consider taking out travel insurance. This can cover things like evacuation, emergency dental work, trip cancellation and your baggage and personal belongings.

Be prepared for some form of culture shock in China. Don’t worry though – it’s normal and you’ll adjust quickly. Someone asked what were the three most important things to have when going to work internationally:

1) Resilience - it will be hard in the first two weeks, but after this period of adjustment, it will be worth it

2) Be prepared with copies of documents

3) Develop a support network quickly

The schools PureTeach partner with, help with all of the above. The Board and their leaders recognise the importance of preparation, communication and support - especially in the lead up and first two weeks of the new role.